This past week I went to Disneyland. It was really interesting thinking about the concept of families taking little children to Disneyland even when they are so little. My family never took us kids there mostly because we couldn't afford it, but also because my family didn't think the youngest kids would appreciate it and wouldn't be able to understand. I think there are a lot of parents out there that waste that experience on little kids because their two year old is too young to understand what is going on. And yes, there are other little kids that Disneyland is a highlight of their youth. Or maybe I was just deprived as a kid and only just realized it. Another interesting aspect of Disneyland is the materialism it is all centered around. Things are expensive there and sometimes, it felt like disneyland wasn't a complete experience if you didn't buy all the stuff they wanted you to. For someone who is on a college budget and a family that is frugal, this can sometimes be really stressful. But it was still fun. It would be interesting to do a social experiment about the people who go to Disneyland.
I love Disneyland! I was born in L.A. so we went there multiple times a year when I was little. I can definitely see what you mean about wasting the experience on a two year old. I think the best ages to go would be between 4-12. However, I went in Jr. High with my dance team and still loved it. I thought it was interesting in the Miss Representation documentary it talked about how immodest the animated Princess characters are. I can't remember, did the princesses walk around Disney land immodestly? They probably have leotards or something under but still. I'm glad you had fun!
ReplyDelete