Thursday, September 27, 2012

What was that movie I watched all the time as a kid, but never actually understood? Oh yeah, there were lots of them!


So if you recognize this picture, and know what movie this landmark is significant in, you are either a sci-fi freak or you were at least raised by one. This is The Devils Tower, and is the featured location of extra-terrestrial contact in the 1977 film Close Encounters of the Third Kind. No particular reason I brought it up, except that i'm watching it right now while I multi-task on my computer. (I heard on the radio that the number of facebook or twitter comments regarding a TV show made during a TV show has increased from thousands a month to millions in the past couple of years.)

Anyway, watching this movie brings back funny memories. My dad really liked it and as a kid, we owned it and i saw it several times. But I never actually understood it. I just remember that the little aliens freaked me out and the part where the little boy is abducted it terrifying.



Other than that, it was boring and just weird. Now that I'm an adult and understand all the political references and know what half the things they talk about mean, its a pretty interesting show. Great effects for the day. 


This whole show makes me reflect on other movies I didn't understand but watched a whole lot as a kid. like...


E.T. (yes, another alien movie, I know)



and this one...
I watched Johnny Lingo probably every when I was 5.

But why is she in a tree! And why all the cows!



 These questions plagued my little mind and aliens and flying creatures haunted my dreams. Some times, I can watch these movies and flash back to that childish mindset. I can imagine myself with popsicle all over my face and cheerios stuck in my hair; eyes glued the screen and the bizarre creatures and images. It interesting how, even though I didn't understand half the things I watched on TV before I was 7, I was still thoroughly entertained. Now, on top of the enjoyment of movies, I have understanding. Hooray!



Potential comment topic for fellow classmates:
What movies did you watch as a kid but never really understood?



No comments:

Post a Comment